Airman’s Proficiency Center (APC) is a division of Hillsboro Aero Academy and is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). APC is approved to offer the F-1 Visa for international students interested in training full-time at APC.
The F-1 Visa program is designed for professional pilot training, either airplane or helicopter, from zero hours to initial flight instructor rating. The F-1 Visa is issued for 12 months for both the professional pilot airplane and helicopter programs and may be extended if the training is not completed. Students on the F-1 Visa may take vacation only during published school vacation periods.
Upon completion of the CFI rating, students may apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Students are required to have a pilot job prior to applying for CPT. CPT will be approved in three month increments for a maximum of 11.5 months.
Ninety (90) days prior to completion of CPT, the student may apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Once the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) has been received, the OPT period is 12 additional months, and the student may apply for work as a commercial pilot in the United States. If employment is not started within 90 days of the start date on the EAD, the student’s visa will automatically be ended and they must leave the country. The student must leave the country within 60 days after expiration of the EAD. CPT/OPT may be an internship as a pilot at Hillsboro Aero Academy or an externship at another flight school or aviation company.
- Application for Admission: Submit a completed and signed application for admission.
- Passport: Submit a clear copy of your current valid passport.
- Financial Verification: Financial verification of monies available to cover the respective training and living expenses is required. These funds must be a liquid asset in a checking or savings account shown on a notarized bank statement or an approved loan application. A signed letter of support is needed if the funds are not in the student’s name. All documents must be accompanied by a notarized English translation denoting monies in U.S. dollars. The funds that must be shown for each program are:
- Airplane Professional Pilot Program – $68,000 USD
- Helicopter Professional Pilot Program – $82,000 USD
- School Transcripts or Diploma: Submit a copy of the transcripts from the highest level of education achieved or a copy of your high school diploma (or its equivalent). A complete English translation must also be provided.
- Language Proficiency: Each student is required to speak, read and understand English. It may be necessary to conduct a phone interview to assess such abilities.
Items to be completed once you have been accepted into HAA and assigned a start date.
- International Student Registration: A $500.00 USD registration fee is required from each international student. Hillsboro Aero Academy will send an invoice via PayPal unless there is a country restriction and then we will work with the student directly to collect the fee.
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Registration: Register at flightschoolcandidates.gov by following these steps.
Once all these requirements are met an I-20, the certificate of eligibility for a visa, will be issued and mailed to you.