Airman’s Proficiency Center (APC) is a division of Hillsboro Aero Academy and is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). APC is approved to offer both the M-1 Visa for international students interested in training full-time at APC.
The M-1 Visa is used for both short-term vocational education experiences, e.g. Private or Commercial Pilot Certificates, as well as full professional pilot programs. The M-1 Visa may be issued for a maximum of 12 months, but you may apply for an extension of up to 12 months for a nominal fee.
When on an M-1 Visa, a student cannot change to an F-1 (academic) or employment visa.
- Application for Admission: Submit a completed and signed application for admission.
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Registration: Register at flightschoolcandidates.gov.
- International Student Registration Fee: A $500.00 USD registration fee is required from each international student. Hillsboro Aero Academy will send an invoice via PayPal unless there is a country restriction and then we will work with the student directly to collect the fee.
- Financial Verification: Financial verification of monies available to cover the respective training and living expenses is required. The estimated cost of the airplane Professional Pilot Program (PPL through CFI) is $50,976.15 USD and the helicopter Professional Pilot Program (PPL through CFI) is $65,190.50 USD. These costs are based on the FAA minimum requirements; they are not set prices. Living expenses for the 12-month training period are estimated to be $13,500.00 USD annually. Therefore, total program costs are estimated to be $64,476.15 USD for the airplane program and $78,690.50 USD for the helicopter program. Financial verification of monies available to cover the respective expenses is required; this may be in the form of a notarized copy of a bank statement, an approved loan application or a notarized affidavit of support. All documents must be accompanied by a notarized English translation denoting monies in U.S. dollars.
- Language Proficiency: Each student is required to speak, read, and understand English. It may be necessary to conduct a phone interview to assess such abilities.
Once all these requirements are met an I-20, the application for an M-1 Visa, will be issued and mailed to you. To apply for the visa, go to the nearest U.S. visa issuing post (Embassy or Consulate).