Skip links

M-1 Visa

M-1 Visa

Airman’s Proficiency Center (APC) is a division of Hillsboro Aero Academy and is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). APC is approved to offer both the M-1 Visa for international students interested in training full-time at APC.

The M-1 Visa is used for both short-term vocational education experiences, e.g. Private or Commercial Pilot Certificates, as well as full professional pilot programs. The M-1 Visa may be issued for a maximum of 12 months, but you may apply for an extension of up to 12 months for a nominal fee.

When on an M-1 Visa, a student cannot change to an F-1 (academic) or employment visa.

Application Requirements

  1. Application for Admission: Submit a completed and signed application for admission.
  2. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Registration: Register at
  3. International Student Registration Fee: A $200.00 USD registration fee is required from each international student. Hillsboro Aero Academy accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express or the fee may be wired to the school.
  4. Financial Verification: Financial verification of monies available to cover the respective training and living expenses is required. The estimated cost of the airplane Professional Pilot Program is $65,305.60 USD and the helicopter Professional Pilot Program is $68,074.00 USD. These costs are based on the FAA minimum requirements; they are not set prices. Living expenses for the 12-month training period are estimated to be $10,487.00 USD annually. Therefore, total program costs are estimated to be $75,792.60 USD for the airplane program and $78,561.00 USD for the helicopter program. Financial verification of monies available to cover the respective expenses is required; this may be in the form of a notarized copy of a bank statement, an approved loan application or a notarized affidavit of support. All documents must be accompanied by a notarized English translation denoting monies in U.S. dollars.
  5. Language Proficiency: Each student is required to speak, read, and understand English. It may be necessary to conduct a phone interview to assess such abilities.

Once all these requirements are met an I-20, the application for an M-1 Visa, will be issued and mailed to you. To apply for the visa, go to the nearest U.S. visa issuing post (Embassy or Consulate).

We are here to help with you any questions as you go through this process.